Did you know?….
- Lard is rich is vitamin D. We absorb vitamin D from sunlight, but there are a few foods that can help keep your levels up in the wintertime. Lard comes 2nd to cod liver oil!
- Lard is heat stable! Won’t oxidize in cooking like other fats.
- Lard has 20 percent less saturated fat than butter. It’s higher in monounsaturated fats which are said to lower LDL cholesterol; and it has none of the trans fat that shortening does.
- A GOOD source of cholesterol. Cholesterol acts like a bandaid to the body, coming to the rescue in cases of inflammation and hormone management.
- Lard is a more economical cooking oil when compared to organic coconut oil, grass-fed butter, and other quality oils.
- Can be sourced LOCALLY!! Compared to coconut oil and palm oil-which is sourced many miles away bound with concerns of child labor and deforestation.
You gotta get your lard from pastured animals that eat fruit, acorns, grass and other forage. Animals that absorb the sunlight and have room to roam. The stuff in the store just won’t do. Toxins are stored in fat, so just imagine what caged up, artificially lit, GMO grain-fed pork would look like?
Know your food, know your farmer, know your pig.
Lard is one of the many things we’ll be offering for sale at our farm stand this May, but you don’t need to wait until then to get your hands on this white gold. We sell lard at the Boonville Farmers market every Saturday from 11-1, or directly from the farm, everyday! Give us a call @ 831-332-5131 to get yours TODAY!